Before You Leave:
Give Address Change To:
- Post Office
- Change Accounts, Credit Cards
- Subscriptions: Notice requires several weeks.
- Friends and Relatives
- Transfer funds, arrange check-cashing in new city.
- Arrange credit refrences.
- Notify company of new loaction for coverages: Life, Health, Fire & Auto.
- Gas, light, water, telephone, fuel.
- Obtain refunds on any deposits made.
Medical, Dental, Prescriptions Histories
- Ask Doctor & Dentist for referrals.
- Transfer needed prescriptions, eyeglasses, X-rays.
- Obtain birth records, medical records, etc.
And Don’t Forget To
- Empty Freezer
- Defrost freezer and clean refrigerator. Place charcoal to dispel odors.
- Have appliances serviced for moving.
- Clean rugs or clothing before moving.
- Arrange to have items wrapped for moving.
- Check with your Moving Couselor: Insurance coverage, packing & unpacking labor, arrival day, various shipping papers, method and time of expected payment.
- Plan for special car need of infants.
On Moving Day
- Carry enough cash or travelers check to cover cost of moving services and expenses until you make banking connections in the new city.
- Carry jewelry and documents yourself, or use registered mail.
At Your New Address
- Plan for transporting pets; they are poor traveling companions if unhappy.
- Double-check closets, drawers & shelves to be sure they are empty.
- Leave old keys neede by new tenant or owner with Realtor or neighbor.
- Check on service of telephone, gas, electricity & water.
- Check pilot light on stove, water heater, incinerator & furnance.
- Have new address recorded on driver’s license.
- Register car within 5 days after arrival in state or a penalty may have to be paid when getting new license plates.
- Apply for state driver’s license.
- Register children in school.
- Arrange for medical services: Doctor, Dentist, etc.