Experts agree that curb appeal is one of the most important aspects to consider when selling your home.
It is the appearance from the street that will very often determine whether potential buyers come in to see the inside, or never get out of their cars.
Flowers are one of the easiest and least expensive ways to make the front of your house look inviting and instantly increase the curb appeal of your home. Without any real landscaping at all, flowers can transform a rather drab and dreary looking front yard into one that looks colorful and lush. Especially during spring and summer, you should take advantage of the season by planting pots and flower boxes.
You should choose colorful flowers that will be in bloom during the time you’re selling your home. Planting the flowers in planter boxes and pots is easier than planting them in the ground and lets you more easily place them where they can have the most visual impact. You don’t need to have a green thumb, or spend a lot of money to get great results either. Visit your local home improvement center or nursery and they will be happy to advise you of the best flowers and plants for your purpose. You can put together several very nice planter boxes and pots of flowers for well under $100. And it’s easy!
One of the nice things about using flowers in this way is that you’ll see the results immediately. And so will buyers visiting your home!
Use this checklist to make sure everything looks great to a potential buyer:
Inspect the outside ground. Remove any building materials, scrap wood, discarded household items, etc.. Store garbage cans in the garage.
Check the home from the roof-line down.
- Is the roof free and clear from obstructions and moss?
- Are the gutters clear and neatly hung?
- Are the windows clean and free from obstructions, such as overgrown bushes or trees?
- Are bushes, trees and shrubs neatly pruned?
Inspect the condition of the paint or siding.
- Is it time to power-wash the siding?
- Is touch-up paint needed?
- Is the front door in good shape?
Do flower beds need an upgrade?
- Are plants neatly pruned?
- Is the flower bed free and clear of weeds?
- Is the flower bed properly mulched?
- Are flowers in bloom?
Keep the lawn neatly groomed.
- Is the lawn free from weeds?
- Is the lawn free from grass clippings?
- Is the lawn neatly edged?